Monday, May 11, 2009

I believe it's a prequel to Star Wars.

Star Trek is, in my humble opinion, probably going to be the best movie of the summer. Maybe Public Enemies will top it, but for sheer entertainment and satisfaction my money would be on Trek.

A 2 hour joy-fest, Trek is a movie that likes you back. It gives you everything you could ask for in a sci-fi movie: Drama, huge action scenes, comedy and, most importantly, heart (Go Captain Planet). Every single actor, no matter how small the role, gives 110%. Even Tyler Perry (Yes, Tyler fucking Perry is in this movie) gives it his all. My only real acting complaint would lay on Eric Bana for being a bit too over-the-top in some scenes and never really seeming to have real justification for his actions. My favorite actor in the whole thing would have to be Karl Urban for his dead-on McCoy. It's almost scary.

The tone was light, breezy and fun. I found this very refreshing. Since the Dark Knight every movie thinks it needs to kill at least 3 main characters and depress the hell out of you. This movie, however, wants to excite you, create wonder and awe in you. I have to say it worked.

There are moments that I found out of place or strange but they are largely forgivable. There were times I felt a bit lost in the call backs to the original series (something I don't care for) but I mostly got the in-jokes.

I know a lot of trekkies don't really like this but, hey, part 5 is still a lot worse. Get over yourselves and your love for such a cheesy TV show. It is in my personal opinion that to fully embrace and love something you have to first admit, if this is true, that it sucks. Star Trek sucked, it was hokey and silly. I'm a huge Firefly fan and I know that makes me a huge outsider in a lot of nerd circles, but I'm fine with that.

Which brings me to a point I want to make, something I have against this movie. I think the main reason trekkies don't like this movie, besides undoing everything we already know: It doesn't really feel like a Trek movie. It feels more like something like Serenity. A free-floating movie in it's own mythos, unconnected to anything else. Hopefully, all of this will be fleshed out in the Trek films to come.

I do want to see this again, I probably will. It's great. See it.

No comments:

Post a Comment