Monday, June 29, 2009

Watching the details, not the Watchmen.

I don't know about this.

On the blu-ray edition of the Watchmen director's cut there will be this feature called "Maximum Movie Mode". I'm not even going to bother describing it seeing as the video below will do that for me. As far as I can tell it's something of a Director's commentary, but you can see him, as if HE is watching the movie with you! Also, he can pause and rewind as he likes! So it's a scene-by-scene dissection with the director.

I want to make it clear that I do think this is really interesting feature. Given the right movie; lets say Ken Russell's The Devils, and the right host; Mark Kermode, this could be amazing.

However, this is Watchmen; ZACK SNYDER'S Watchmen. A nearly 3 hour movie that almost completely missed the point of it's original source material.

Now the director's cut, I believe, is well over 3 hours. I'm not sure if I want to sit down with this guy, watch this movie, and give him complete control over the viewing experience. Seriously, am I going to have to sit there for 4 hours listening to Snyder fall over himself about how "brilliant" he thinks this movie is? Or suffer through him constantly pick out all the great "attention to detail"?

Because really, that's all this movie was. It got the details to a tee. It completely missed the big picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment